One thing there aren’t many of in Nigeria is indigenous footwear brands. However Kene Rapu is one of emerging brands trying to turn that around. Launched as an initiative to promote the development of the local industry, locally sourced materials and workers are used to provide a bespoke handcrafted slippers and sandals range that match international standards
Talking to founder Kene Rapu, she explains that the process of making footwear is quite different to clothing due to the number of different components. As such it takes approximately 2 weeks for carefully crafted bespoke styles to be created once orders have been placed. However ready-to-wear pieces are available to buy in the store at any time.
Thinking of the future, the brand is currently in the process of setting up a KR factory, where they intend to develop an assembly line of shoe- makers. In doing so, positioning themselves as an integral part of the value chain in the Nigerian fashion industry. Look like they’re here to stay and we love the sound of that!
Kene Rapu can be purchased online at www.kenerapu.com, or in the following places:
- Flagship Store: 1a Olajide George street, Lekki, Lagos
- Grey Velvet: Centro Mall, Lekki, Lagos
- Mei Dei, 33 Town planning way, Ilupeju (in time for Christmas)
- Leyiush 15a Parliamentary Road, Calabar (in time for Christmas)
We’re giving somebody a chance to win a pair of slippers, simply;
- Make sure you’re following @kenerapu and @thebfcollective & ike the giveaway pciture
- Answer this easy question in the comments section below. “How long does a bespoke pair of slippers take to make?”